Wednesday, March 23, 2016

PA-C or ATC, why not both?


This past month has brought a whirlwind of events and emotions into my life, all good of course. Though a tad overwhelming, it’s all too exciting as well. Choosing to go back to school is a big decision, but even harder is choosing what to go for. In the healthcare field, there seems to be endless possibilities. This of course meant a lot of time contemplating my choices to decide what was a best fit for me. I absolutely love what I do, so to some, it seemed to be a surprise that I have switched gears a bit. So many have asked, “Why PA?” not as accusatory, but out of genuine curiosity. So my question back to them, which seems to throw them for a loop, is “Why not?”

I absolutely love what I do. Becoming a certified athletic trainer has been one of the most rewarding journeys and decisions I have ever made. It has helped mold who I am today, and has influenced a lot of my life choices. I live for the excitement of Friday night lights and seeing an injured athlete’s pure joy as they return from an injury. To them, their sport is their everything. To me, seeing them get to do what they love is mine. I live for making a difference in others' lives.  Nothing makes my day quite like the short, sweet, but sincere, “thank you”.   I can see the impact I make in their lives, and that is all it takes to make my job worth it. So when people ask, “Why PA?” my answer is simple. That joy? That subtle, yet at times, immense impact? I want to be able to spread it further. I want to be able to have that positive impact not just on my athletes and athletic population, but every population. More specifically, I want to reach out to those who don’t have the luxury of such services. Do I love my school? Absolutely. Is it going to be incredibly hard to leave them and the relationships I have built with my coaches, athletes, and parents? Of course. But I also know that my school is extremely blessed in that they will always have a full time certified athletic trainer. To me, this is the perfect opportunity to bridge the health care gap in underserved areas for both the general population AND the athletes. I have been advocating for athletic trainers in all schools since I’ve been involved in the profession. Only 37% of schools have “access” to an athletic trainer. THIRTY SEVEN PERCENT. That is extremely pathetic. It is also no secret that there is a huge gap in healthcare services for primary care as well, making the PA field ever growing, which is why for me, it just made perfect sense. I want to be able to make that difference.

To me, choosing to get my masters in physician assistant studies is no different than my classmates who choose to get their masters in exercise science, or education, or a doctorate in physical therapy. In order to make ourselves more marketable, we need to make ourselves more diverse, especially as the demands for employment continue to increase. When I was in high school, everyone around me was telling me how important it was to get a college degree. Now that college degree is sadly becoming nothing more than a piece of paper… Now it’s “where’s the masters degree?” I don’t view or treat my degree as a stepping stone, but rather my foundation. You can’t function without the foundation. While athletic training is the foundation of my education, I want to build on it, all the while still using it every day. From the foundation the only place to go is up, but you can't do so without it. It is the most important part in order to continue to work.  

I’ve never been known for following the norm, and my choices in careers is no exception. Who is to say I can’t be a PA-C/ATC, and practice as both successfully? I didn’t choose to go back to school for PA for the money or the hours. I chose the profession because it exemplifies everything I stand for as a health care professional. Some may disagree, but I see many similarities in both professions, which is why I want to be a part of both. It will help me continue to fuel my passion for healthcare by increasing my clinical skill set to better serve more patients. My athletic training background, in my eyes, is advantageous both ways. My orthopedic experience will be beneficial while practicing as a PA. Having both credentials will also be an advantage in that I can advocate for the professions in both directions. Education is key not only in practice with my patients, but also for growth of the professions. Both are unique in that they are part of a medical model that works in collaboration with other health care professionals, a team approach. I think representing two teams will drastically make a difference.  While I know many will read this and be skeptical, my response will be the same as it is every time someone doubts my ability to push the limits and break boundaries- “Watch me”

No comments:

Post a Comment