Tuesday, March 3, 2015

circuits, suicides, and burpees... what's not to love?

For my "off season" training I've been trying to spice things up so I don't get bored or in a funk. I am a big fan of circuits because they are fast pace and work everything in the body. They make me feel like I'm dying sometimes, but it's totally worth it. I noticed from my first half marathon that I don't have much "get up and go" when I'm trying to pick up the pace to decrease my time, so I've decided to incorporate more sprints into my training regimen. I'll list the latest circuit I've been doing below. It's nice because you don't need a gym membership to do them. I did it in the gym, and sometimes I do it in the gym at the high school I work at when all my teams are done for the day or I have gaps between practices when they don't have school. If you're just doing it somewhere outside, and don't have good stopping points/measurements for the suicides, you can always just do straight ahead sprints. Just enough to get your HR up and incorporate quick running patterns in the circuit.

1 set of suicides
10 push ups
20 mountain climbers
20 lunges
20 air squats
10 burpees
repeat 5 times.

It doesn't seem like much, but it's a good workout. I used to incorporate planks and wall sits, but I took them out to do on their own. I don't want any static exercises in my circuits.

As much as I try to avoid social media, as I feel it is a time eater, pinterest is great for finding new, creative ideas for keeping workouts interesting. Once I get bored with a workout it's game over. Finding things you enjoy keep it fun and keep you wanting to go back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment