Friday, February 27, 2015

Race Update!

hey ya'll!

So the big day has finally come and past, and let me tell you, it was one heck of an experience! There's just something about running with thousands of people that is seriously unlike anything I've ever done before. For my first marathon, I would definitely say it was a success. We had a few trial and error moments along the way, but now we've learned for next time. This training regimen definitely had it's fair share of road blocks, including a wicked case of the flu, multiple head colds (perks of working in a high school), a very hindering case of runners knee (thank you, horrible biomechanics), unexpectedly having to scramble to find an apartment and move the week before my race, which prevented me from running the entire week before, some frigid temperatures, and a lovely dose of rain and some limiting side cramps the day of my race. but you know what? I did it. I didn't stop. I didn't walk. and I pushed myself through. I might not have been the fastest, but I couldn't be prouder to say I ran 13.1 miles. You know I have officially caught runner's fever when I was looking up my next marathon on the car ride home.
So here's a little recap of the weekend events.
First off let me just say we were extremely nervous it might get cancelled. We had a "snow storm" in the forecast at home (and I even had a snow day!), and I wasn't sure if it was going to hit Alabama. To ensure we got there in plenty of time to get my race packet, we left bright and early Saturday morning (which was even earlier in Alabama because they are behind us by an hour). Birmingham is a relatively short drive for us, which is nice because there was so much left unexplored after 2 trips there that we would like to return again.


 Our first stop of course was the expo so I could pick up my race packet and my Bell Runner packet. The only thing I could come close to comparing it to was a cheerleading competition... So many vendors and so.many.people. While this was exciting, I also tend to be a bit on the claustrophobic side, so we quickly got in, got my stuff, and got out. (Not to mention at this point is was well past my usual lunch time).






I won't get into details as I'm afraid I will get angry again, but lunch unfortunately was the worst part of our trip. On top of the marathon being that weekend, there was also a cheerleading competition, so naturally everywhere was SUPER busy. That was our fault for not thinking ahead and making reservations for lunch as well as dinner (one of the things we will learn for next time.) Now, I understand busy, I worked in the food industry for numerous years, so I understand the chaos of getting everyone's needs met when there are a million and a half customers. That being said, I never, EVER treated a customer differently for how they looked, their assumed age, how much I thought they would tip me, etc. Every customer was treated equally, and it absolutely infuriates me when I come across people in the food industry, or honestly any industry for that matter, because I look young and they don't think I can afford something and tip well. I understand that we were staying in a 5 star hotel and the restaurant attached was a tad bit classy, but don't you think if I can afford to stay in a 5 star hotel, I can afford to go to your little pub? and yes, I was in yogas and a running jacket, not my ideal wardrobe for lunch. But had you any common sense, you would know that the mercedes benz marathon was that weekend, and any runner would want to be comfortable the day before their big race. AND lets not forget the minor detail of I WAS A WAITRESS. I probably tip more generously than the majority of people much older and much wealthier than myself. But she would never know that, because if someone so chooses to treat me in such a manner, it will be reflected in how she is treated back. The whole experience was absolutely infuriating. Okay, venting done, back to the awesome weekend :)


We initially planned to go explore Birmingham a bit, but upon further review we realized all of the awesome site seeing we found was not right in the heart of the city where we were staying, and we didn't want to do a bunch of running around the day before my race. Next time though! We did manage to see a couple cool landmarks while walking around between the expo and the hotel. In the mean time, we went to the opposite end of the hotel, where we found much friendlier folk in a cute little hipster coffee shop attached to the hotel. Now THAT was customer service! He felt bad that, due to the insane amount of little cheerleaders running around that weekend, he was fresh out of hot chocolate. So you know what he did? Made up his own delicious drink that didn't have coffee in it. Definitely made up for the lack of customer service at the pub. The hotel staff was extremely friendly too, as they let us check in early since we had nothing else to do. First thing I did? faceplant on our giant, and super comfortable bed.




Now onto the good stuff, DINNER! We were on point, finding the top rated Italian restaurant in Birmingham. Carb loading, duh :) Now, for a place that was so highly rated, let me tell you, boy was it a little hole in the wall place! but those are always the best kind.  It was absolutely delicious. I swear I could have ordered one of everything on the menu!!! definitely a 5 star in my book. AND the waiter definitely made up for the poor service we received earlier in the day (needless to say he earned both hers and his own tip.) I didn't snap a pic of dinner (which ended up being penne vodka for me, and veal ravioli for her), but I couldn't resist taking a pic of dessert. You know its a true Italian restaurant when they import their gelato FROM ITALY. goodness I was in a gelato coma after that. Gelato counts as carb loading, right?







As always, Ash is keeping me on my toes. Our anniversary was on Wednesday, and I had a basketball state playoff game to cover, so unfortunately we didn't get to really celebrate. We said we would celebrate in Birmingham, but I didn't think that would extend past dinner. I came back to the room to find  a pleasant surprise of rose petals on the bed, and chocolate covered strawberries for dessert round two. I have to give her credit, the girl knows how to put a smile on my face.

I had my first alarm set for 4:45am, so needless to say it was an early night for us. I didn't sleep the greatest, but I think it was the nerves getting to me. Surprisingly enough though, I woke up no issue. Which that in and of itself was impressive because I am NOT an morning person!
Now where I will have to plan better for next time... gauging what to wear with the weather. I tried to take note of what temperatures called for what clothing while I was training, but it's always so hard to tell. It was upper 40s, but that could be crazy hot or insanely cold depending on so many different circumstances. It started raining too which didn't help my cause (so glad we detoured to pick up a running rain jacket for me on the way.) I settled on my longsleeve and my rain jacket, which I know now was way too much... I started stripping and rearranging layers halfway through. and even could have probably gotten away with shorts. I contemplated throwing my jacket on the side of the road, but it was Nike and I couldn't justify that haha Next time I am going to stop in the thrift store or something if I plan on shedding layers. Oh well. you live and you learn.
The rain wasn't too bad, it didn't downpour, which was good, but it was super annoying. I definitely think it had an effect on my time. The biggest thing slowing me down though was my side cramping... My heart sunk as soon as it started, because typically when I run and get side cramp/stitches like that, it's my craptastic lungs telling me they can't keep up with me and to slow down or stop (downfall of having scar tissue all over them, my lungs literally cannot produce enough Oxygen to keep up with me). There was absolutely no way I was going to stop, so even though I didn't want to, I slowed down and began pacing my breathing. I have a trick that one of my certifieds from SRU taught me for when I start struggling with my breathing. When I was getting back into exercise after my Pulmonary Embolism, I got winded really quickly, and sometimes (even though I know its exactly what not to do), I would panic, which only made it a thousand times worse. To prevent the gasping for air and panic from happening, she told me to count me fingers while I ran. This sounded silly at first but it really helps! As you count up, you inhale, and then you count back down and exhale. It helps you keep a nice even breathing. Now, if I was one of those runners with a 5min/mi pace, I don't think anything could slow your breathing down, but my guess is, if you're running that fast, you don't really need to. But for a girl with a bum set of lungs just trying to make it 13.1 miles, it works great. 
I tried not to let it get to me, but every mile when my phone updated me on my time, I couldn't help but get a little frustrated. I had ran the full 13.1 twice before, once on the course, and I had a better pace then. I know that circumstances arise that we have no control of, so I just kept pushing through. 
I could also tell that I just recently (unfortunate timing) had to break in new shoes before my race. I could feel the friction starting, and once my feet got soaked, I knew I was a goner. I could literally feel the skin peeling off the bottom of my feet. BUT I never stopped. 
The run went surprisingly quickly. Normally when I do my long runs, I go through the 5 stages of grieving, no lie. This run was surprisingly easy though, and enjoyable (minus my few complications.) The amount of emotions I felt while running was ridiculous. I can't really put into words how it felt, it's true an experience you have to try for yourself. It was nice seeing so many people out supporting the runners too, it actually was a big motivation and a push I needed. 
When I got to the last 5K, I just told myself to sprint it. Push through the pain, exhaustion, doubt, and whatever else I was feeling, and just get it done. I was so close. I knew I had nothing left in me (I was literally running on empty... or GU. I couldn't eat breakfast because I wasn't hungry,which is a horrible start to a half marathon). The last mile quite frankly sucked. I saw my time, and knew it would be a stretch to get it done in under 2 hours. I could remember the scenery, but I couldn't remember how much longer until the finish line. As soon as I got my bearings of where I was, I literally ran as fast as I could for that finish line. I about fell on my face when I crossed the finish line, but I couldn't help but smile and laugh. I had done it, I just finished my first half marathon, when I was told that I would never be able to do something like that. I just beat all odds.
I could definitely feel the lactic acid sinking in the minute I got into the grass. There's just something about race day that makes you push your limits even further. It was all worth it though. I found Ash and just plopped down. I was a little disheartened to see I missed the 2 hour mark by a whopping 47 seconds, but I still had to pat myself on the back for even doing it. I knew I could beat that next time. Everyone said your goal for your first half should just be to finish, and that I did. So now to adjust my training, and beat that time.
I kept my phone on do not disturb while I ran, and I couldn't help but smile when I saw all the supportive texts from my family as I ran, and the fact that all of them followed me on the tracker was awesome. Whether here with me in Georgia, or 700 miles away,  I really do have the best support system a girl could ask for.


















Once I changed out of my soggy clothes, we headed to the expo to first and foremost get a massage to work out the lactic acid. Once my legs were a bit functional, we finally got to do what I was waiting for all weekend long, go meet baby Eve. That literally was the highlight of my weekend. To be able to run the half not only for myself, but for someone else that can't, there's no words for it. Being a Bell Runner has now inspired me to run all my races for charity, and continue changing lives.
Eve was seriously the most precious little baby ever. She was such a happy little peanut, and it was great to get to talk to her mom and really get to know her and the family. She even gave me some other marathons to look into doing that have special fundraisers for different charities. She actually runs marathons as well, which was great to talk about. I am now considering running this same race again next year so I can continue fundraising for Eve and hopefully raising enough money to give her the chance to one day run as well.I'm hoping I have impacted her life for the better as much as she has mine.












As much as we would have loved to stay and enjoy the festivities (btw, who wants to drink beer after running a marathon??), we wanted to ensure a safe return home as we had a sleet storm in our weather forecast. Once I got to see Eve and her mom, I was content, so we headed back to the hotel for a quick power nap, and then we were on our way. Of course we stopped at cracker barrell to eat, complete with about $20 worth of candy. It was definitely an early night when we got home, I don't know who was more exhausted, me or her!
It was definitely an amazing weekend and I wouldn't have traded it for the world, even with some of our issues we had along the way. One state down, 49 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment